Irrigation System Manager
Irrigation System Manager
Pacific Sports Turf Irrigation is looking for a well-qualified turf and irrigation expert to join our team. The ideal candidate will have the right combination of education and/or practical experience with turf grass horticulture knowledge and irrigation system principles.
$ 24.00- $26.00/HR + $6 per hour Benefits package (Health & Dental insurance, short-term long-term disability, Life Insurance, unmatched 401K). Total compensation $30.00-$32.00 per hour including benefits. Compensation is DOE (Depends On Experience).
The primary responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to the following:
Pacific Sports Turf Irrigation manages irrigation system efficiency on sports fields and a variety of other premium landscapes. Our Irrigation System Managers are responsible for maintaining optimum moisture levels for vitality and playability of sports fields. They walk sites regularly, checking soil moisture levels, and make frequent adjustments to irrigation schedules. With some sites we are responsible for troubleshooting and repair of faulty equipment; on other sites we identify problems and collaborate with maintenance staff on repairs. We strive to operate our systems at the highest possible level of water-use efficiency.
Candidates would be expected to qualify and receive irrigation certifications from nationally recognized organizations, within two years of hire. This would include, at a minimum, the ‘Certified Landscape Irrigation Auditor’ credential offered by the Irrigation Association.
- A minimum of 2 year’s experience with irrigation systems and products, and the ability to identify system deficiencies and implement improvements*
- Working knowledge of central irrigation control system operations and management
- Ability to troubleshoot and solve irrigation issues
- Understanding of water conservation techniques and technologies
- Flexible and cooperative to meet daily work requirements. Ability to work independently and with teams
- Familiarity with computer programs, network access and mobile applications.
- Ability to prioritize and multitask
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Dedication to providing excellent customer service; to include customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Outstanding verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Able to communicate in English, both written and verbally
- Valid Oregon Driver License with a clean record
- Ability to pass a background check
- *A 2 year degree in a horticulture related field (landscape, golf course, turf) will qualify as 2 years experience.
About Our Company:
Pacific Sports Turf Inc. excels in managing sports fields and golf sites throughout the Northwest. Our team of turf experts cultivate and maintain high performance natural turf fields using proven cultural practices. We master the science and art of fertilization, aeration, seeding, and top-dressing fields with decades of experience and soil testing for structure and fertility. Proper irrigation is, of course, critical to sports turf management. We are a small, locally-owned family that puts the well-being of its employees 1st. We provide an excellent benefits package including a 401k plan, medical and dental insurance, paid time off and holidays. We are an equal opportunity company that wants anyone with a great attitude and ambition to work with us regardless of race, gender, religion, or sexuality. Because of working on school sites, we are required to be free of a criminal record.
PST Internship Curriculum
Pacific Sports Turf is committed to the development and maintenance of premier turf facilities in the Pacific Northwest. Our industry of turf management is always evolving and education is critical to helping our customers achieve the best turf product. We feel that it is important to give back to the turf industry by helping teach and instruct young ambitious individuals who are our future employees and customers. The PST Internship Program is designed to give students a wide variety of experiences within the turf contractor environment; in an effort to enhance their educational progress.
Different Jobs that we can offer:
- Turf Equipment Operation- which includes but is not limited to-
- DT Aerate
- Top Dress
- Greens Aerate/ Core Harvest
- Preseeding (Proficient Dependent)
Turf equipment operation and “tractor work” on golf courses and athletic fields is a major part of the everyday operations at PST. This is the basic skill needed for all employees at any level of turf facility. At the beginning of our internship the student must first prove to be proficient with equipment operation before they are able to move to more advanced jobs.
After a training and supervision period the intern is expected to develop proficiency in these areas:
- Proper operation of tractors. Example- Proper shifting and use of clutch.
- Proper setup of attachments. Example- Able to attach and level seeder properly.
- Proper chaining and strapping down of equipment on trucks and trailers. Example- Oppose pull on equipment.
- Safe operation of equipment without causing major damage. Example- Rarely hitting sprinkler heads and other obstructions. No unnecessary damage to our machinery.
- Ability to see what needs to be done and how to help your coworkers to accomplish a common goal. Example- Load equipment without being told. There is always something helpful for you to do.
- Understand company protocol for job related paperwork. Example- Intern should help fill out job sheets and time sheets.
- Ability to problem solve. Every site is different and the intern needs to be able to adjust to changing field conditions. A part of being a team player is asking questions when needed, but also being able to complete a task on your own by using your own natural problem solving skills.
Approximate time spent on machine operation- This is dependent on the duration of the interns expected stay at PST. We would like approximately 125 hrs of machine operation to understand the basics of our company. This is a building block for our other jobs and it is necessary for proper training. This also depends on the ambition of the intern and desire to learn other aspects of our company.
- Drainage Theory/Layout
- Order Parts
- Pipe installation
- Turf Surface Restoration
Drainage installation is an important way for natural turf facilities to stay competitive with the new developments of artificial turf. Our company is committed to providing quality natural turf playing surfaces and we improve playability for our customers with the addition of drainage. Our drainage jobs are a great opportunity for an intern to see and be a part of project management. Large jobs that take weeks to complete will teach planning and team effort. These skills are useful for any turf industry job.
Expectations on drainage jobs-
- Ability to complete tasks- it is important that once shown a specific task that the intern can repeat this task without too much further instruction. Reliability is important to being a part of our team.
- Equipment operation- an intern should be able to use their previous training on our equipment and be able to help accomplish drainage project with similar equipment.
- Time management- Drainage projects require planning by every employee. Unlike turf related jobs the drainage jobs are multiple week long jobs. Being efficient with your time is important to the overall job completion. It is each person’s responsibility to think and plan ahead, knowing what the next step is in the process.
- Approximate time spent on Drainage- Ideally we would like an intern to be a part of a complete job. Generally this will be about 2 weeks. Once again this is also dependent on the intern’s ambition and desire to learn this specific task. More time could be spent if the intern shows an interest in this area.
- Irrigation Repairs
- Irrigation Installation
- Site Water Management
- Soil Testing
- Central Controllers
- Field Marking
Quality turf fields can trace their success back to proper irrigation and turf management. PST makes this an emphasis to all of our customers. Turf needs three things, nutrients, oxygen, and water. We can control each of these so we get an optimal product. However, clean water is a commodity and the proper use of it is necessary for both environmental and financial reasons. This is why we feel that irrigation management is necessary for an intern to learn regardless of the turf industry job they choose.
Expectations with Irrigation Management:
- This is an opportunity for our interns to learn about irrigation systems and spend time with an expert on water management. We expect the intern to be helpful with daily tasks such as irrigation repairs and field monitoring. This job is low stress compared to other parts of our company and is a chance for an intern to be inquisitive. Irrigation management is about theory and understanding plant needs. We expect this time to be spent asking questions about turf and soils as wells as learning the basics of irrigation pipe installation and sprinkler heads.
Approximate time spent with Irrigation Management team- intermittently throughout the summer but approximately 2 weeks. This is also dependent on the intern’s ambition and desire to learn this specific task. More time could be spent if the intern shows an interest in this area. This should give the student enough time to learn about irrigation systems and ask plenty of questions about grass and soils as they relate to our irrigation management practices.
- Shop protocol
- Washing equipment
- Equipment preparations
- Loading equipment
- Mechanic job shadow
The success of our field employees being able to complete jobs begins with the people behind the scenes and in our shop. We pride ourselves in maintaining a smooth operation which is efficient and ready to provide our customers with timely service. The mechanics and shop help are critical to accomplishing this goal. One of the tasks of the intern will be to learn all the preparations that happen in our shop before equipment goes out to a job. This includes everything from washing the equipment and ordering supplies to making repairs to the equipment. The intern will get a chance to help out with the daily operations at our shop.
Approximate time to be spent in the shop- To begin the internship the student will work around the shop doing daily tasks that include cleaning and loading equipment and making sure the shop area is organized. This will help the student learn the most basic part of our operation and learn where everything is located and get acquainted with our equipment. This will be a 2-3 week time period. Later in the internship after the student has been able to operate our machines and work in the field they will get the chance to job shadow the mechanical team and help out with their duties. They will learn more about our equipment preparation and repair theory. The intern will see the necessity for quality repair work in order to keep our machines running through our rigorous work schedule. This will be 1 week maximum.
- Meet with customers
- Job Proposals
Internships are designed to give students the opportunity to learn more about an industry that they want to work in. We feel that in order to educate our intern about our company they should be able to see and be a part of every aspect of our company. If the intern shows great ambition and desire to be successful during his internship, then they will get the chance to spend time with one of our upper management employees (Operations Manager and/or Sales). Students going through our program should set goals of being a leader in the turf industry. This opportunity is designed to give the intern a look into their future.
- Meet other Industry Professionals
- Choose your own interest
Interns who excel in our program and show initiative will be rewarded. Depending on the students interest we have many connections within the turf industry and can set up a job shadow for a day at another turf facility.
Expectations of our Interns
- Be on time and ready to work at your scheduled time. It is not acceptable to miss a day of scheduled work.
- Be presentable. You are a representative of our company and your appearance matters. You are expected to adhere to the company standards for hygiene in the employee handbook.
- Be alert and ready to work. We have early start times- make sure you get enough sleep the night before. You home life is our concern if it affects how you are able to perform at work.
- Be accountable. Every employee is responsible for his/her own actions. Honesty is the best policy.
- Ask lots of questions. This internship is your chance to learn about the turf industry. Never be complacent with what you know. Ask about turf related theories at appropriate times.
- Go above and beyond expectations. We are looking for an eager employee who is able to see beyond the task in front of them and do what might not be expected.
- Develop a good working relationship with your coworkers and superiors. We will be a future resource and reference for you. This is an opportunity to build life long partners in the turf industry.
- Work as a team. We have a small company that works well together. We need our intern to fit into our team and be willing to help each other to accomplish the same goal.
- Pull your own weight. Just because you are and intern doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be a big contributing factor to our company goals. Your success as our employee daily determines your success with us in the future.
- This is a serious job. Once again, we can be a great resource for you in the future if you work hard right now.
- Have FUN!
Field Supervisor /Operation Manager
Performs turf renovation and maintenance work using turf equipment and tractor. Mobilizing all equipment to and from multiple job sites.
$ 15.00-24.00/HR. + benefits DOE
The primary responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to the following. Management retains the right to add or change the responsibilities of the position at any time.
- Becoming skilled with supervision in all operations of turf maintenance equipment. Including but not limited to fairway sanding, aerating, Deep Tine Aeration, core removal, thatching, soil placement/preparation, rough and fine grading, ball field renovation, Drainage installation.
- Load and transport equipment( CDL class trucks) and tools to job sites as required
- Comply with and enforce company policies.
- Develop and maintain a positive work relationship with operation manager, peers and subordinates.
- Promote and maintain safe working conditions.
- Fill out detailed daily paperwork timely and accurately.
- Report equipment in need of repair to mechanic.
- Assure proper use, care and inventory of company equipment, parts and tools assigned by performing pre-operation checks, routine maintenance and minor in-the-field repairs of equipment as necessary
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. repetitively
- Ability to bend/stoop/crouch/squat/use arms/wrists/hands/grasp/sit on moving equipment for long periods.
- Ability to communicate in English orally and in writing
- D.L. with insurable driving record.
- Ability to obtain C.D.L. within 3 months of employment. PST to pay cost.
- Able to work various hours and various locations including out of town/overnight trips as required.
- Quality workmanship shall meet company standards.
- Positive attitude, appearance and bedependable.
Turf Operations Manager
PST is a small privately owned company located in Tualatin Oregon which is about 20 minutes South of Portland. We are looking for a knowledgeable, organized, leader to help in our Turf Department. We rarely work weekends and strive to be leaders in our industry. Come join our team.
POSITION: Turf Operations Manager
REPORTS TO: Vice President/ President
SUMMARY: Responsible for complete operation of all phases of revenue production processes. Including coordination of: Manpower, DOT mobilization, equipment and maintenance while meeting company standards for quality and efficiency and profitably.
PAY RANGE: $60K-$72,500 exempt salary + benefits, negotiable DOE
BENEFITS INCLUDE: Company paid health, dental, vision, short term and long term disability and life insurance, up to 80 hours paid vacation per year, company supplied uniforms, up to 40 hours PTO time per year, two paid holidays, 401K plan, 125 cafeteria plan.
The primary responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Helping VP and sales team in coordination of scheduling projects with emphasis on organization, efficiency, profitably and meeting the client’s needs.
- Sales to golf course clients by recommending work, preparing proposals, and scheduling work.
- Schedule turf jobs, equipment, and personal for all daily work. With long term and short term goals being the priority.
- Manage turf employees work hours to ensure company is meeting all stated goals.
- Coordinate and work with other division managers.
- Process all time off request and cross reference with work schedule and make recommendations.
- Able to perform all functions of Field Supervisor/trainer.
- Provide feedback to Technical consultant team as to job progress.
- Help Equipment Manager prioritize equipment scheduling and repairs.
- Training and supervise of Turf personal on an ongoing basis. Including productivity, quality, safety, company policies and orientation.
- Participate with employee’s reviews on a regular basis and give recommendations as to compensation.
- Ensure all time sheets, job sheets, vehicle inspection reports, safety meetings and receipts are correct and turned in on time.
- Comply with and enforce company policies and standards.
- Inspect all preformed work for proper outcome.
- Evaluate all sites for readiness of scheduled work.
- Be able to write/review proficiency test for all processes preform by PST
- Bilingual skills – English/Spanish helpful.
- One year experience with properly training personnel on all equipment and procedures.
- Three years’ experience with turf maintenance and equipment.
- Two year’s supervisory experience.
- Ability to communicate in English orally and in writing.
- Valid O.D.L. With insurable driving record.
- Computer literate on various software.
- Able to obtain CDL license helpful.
- Able to pass drug test which means the urine tested positive for one or more of the drug panels included in the test.
- Able to pass a background check as determined by employer.
- Pass DMV driving record requirements of our insurance company as insurable to drive company vehicles.